Saturday, August 15, 2015

Update Before I Leave For School

Hello Everyone,


  I haven't posted in a while. I have been very busy with work. I Just finished up for the summer at my father's shop known as Kennebec River Fly and Tackle, but more commonly known to the fly fisherman as HMH Precision Vises.

Anyway I went up to the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association Festival as Paul Smith's College a few weeks ago. I had a great time. I brought a trailer full of canoes. Including the Kennebec Style Sailing Canoe. Two Kennebec Kineo's. Chestnut Chum. Chestnut Ogilvy and last but not least my fathers 21' Grand Laker.

We actually got up to the festival when it was half over. We couldn't take that much time off work, and most of the people at the festival are retired. When we got in it was 8:00pm and we had to load the Grand Laker and go over to a campsite across the lake. We got very lucky that we got a site with a view, blueberry bushes, a lein-to and a picnic table.


We went to the festival to have a good time, enjoy the canoes, paddle the Chestnut. And hopefully sell a canoe or two. We had it very lucky. We were able to eat and sleep in as long as we desired at our campsite and then motor our way across the lake to the College for our activities and lunch.
The best part of the festival for me was being able to see all the beautiful 100 year old canoes. This year everyone tried to bring their B.N. Morris Canoes. Next year I have heard rumors of being Kennebec Canoe's turn. I will be very excited for that since we have 3 Kennebec Canoes waiting to be restored.


Well after the long two days, I started to load all the canoes back onto the trailer. When doing so a couple stopped me and asked if I had interest in selling the Green Kennebec Style Canoe. I told them of course and that I was just informed that it was indeed a 1912 Kennebec Canoe that had sponsons at one time. It looks as if a boat builder tried to fix the canoe, but didn't really know how to do it. Anyway it went to a good home. It going to be restored. I hope to see it next year. Hopefully the twin Kineo's will be there too.

Happy Paddling Everyone!

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you had a good summer.. Have a safe trip back to college.. So sorry I have not gotten to see much of you this summer.. but I hope to see you during the fall break.

    ReplyDelete